Thursday, June 19, 2014

A Matter of Style


Virtually every trials bike built since the mid 1960's features tupperware fenders. If you are regularly throwing yourself and your bike against granite escarpments these plastic fenders may be a good choice. I don't care for them and my riding style doesn't require such levels of indestructibility. I am, more or less, just cruising around the gentle desert landscape of Southern Baja, with an occasional trip down a rocky wash or up a sand dune.

As a simple matter of style, I vastly prefer the pre-60's look of the polished alloy fenders. In addition, and again purely as a style decision, I am reinforcing the fender mounting points with a second layer of aluminum sheet and exposed rivets. Below is a photo of the front fender which I mounted about a month ago.



The rear fender mount will be handled the same way. I like the look of the exposed rivets. Anyone who unfamiliar with this style should Google the term "steampunk". A little of this goes a long way, but it is reminiscent of the big singles of the 50's and 60's.

For my next project, I need to mount the engine, or at least the engine and cylinder head so I can mount the exhaust and then have Chuy build a hanger for the muffler. I will have more and better pictures at that time. Thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment