Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Who doesn't like new gaskets???



The big event yesterday was the arrival of some new gaskets (above). Despite ordering two sets of gaskets from two different sources, neither source sent me the gasket for the crankcase cover which goes over and encloses the clutch/kick starter assembly.

Also arriving were some painting supplies. Both of my touch-up guns which were last used about 16 years ago had died in the interim. Both guns fired off thick globs of paint and a review of the instructions included with the guns told me to remove and clean a piece which was not removable.  Not a big deal. They only cost $29.00 twenty years ago, and they cost about the same now. So, now I have a new one. 



Yesterday afternoon I installed all of the new bearings. It took some force and some heat and some refrigeration, but they all went in without any particular drama. One of the things that amazed me was the condition of the bearings and seals that I removed. If I had just cleaned them up they would have been indistinguishable from the new pieces. In fact I had to take some care that I didn't mix them up on the bench. The new ones do feel a little tighter, and the seals do feel a little bit more supple, but I am not entirely sure that they all needed replacement. Next...the cases will go together with all the important bits inside....I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment