Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Dave's Bully


Several months ago I discovered this treasure on Ebay. It was owned by a David Armstrong who was the President of the local vintage motorcycle group in the State of Washington. He had owned the bike for many years and had taken beautiful care of it. It is a mid-60's Bultaco Campera 175. I had owned a similar bike back in the 60's when I was in school (a Lobito 100). This is bigger, faster and way cooler. I really could not resist.

Getting this bike to my home in La Paz presented some challenges. First it had to be transported to San Diego and then my freight forwarding service had to bring it home...so to speak.


This is how it arrived. By the next day I was out and about on it exploring the beaches and dirt roads around our house. Within a week I was plotting some changes...you always have to make these things your own even if the changes are almost pointless. 

I first considered a new ignition system, but the existing system seemed to work just fine. After all, Sammy Miller won a lot of World Championships with this system. It always started easily, but the ancient Amal monobloc carburetter wanted to drown the combustion chamber if I did not exhibit almost perfect throttle control. So, a Mikuni is on the way. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment