Monday, September 8, 2014

Constructum Interrumptum

It has been a bad couple of weeks for both of the project bikes. The TLR (above) was coming together very nicely. This was mainly a cosmetic project and so I was not anticipating any impossible stumbling blocks. About two weeks ago the seat tank unit was ready for its clear coat. The Honda wing was in place as well as the NGK decals and the HRC decals. I set the tank up on my short ladder (which I use to support things that I am painting) and began applying the clear. It was going on so well, I barely took a break between the first and second coat. About five minutes into the project I realized that the HRC decls were dissolving which was going to make about three more days work for me. By the way, I absolutely knew and understood that I needed to give the HRC decals a mist coat first and allow that to thoroughly dry before applying any more clear. Again, it is very frustrating to sabotage your own projects.

My next mistake was to bump the ladder which was supporting the seat/tank unit. That particular move sent the unit on to the ground causing even more damage since the clear was still very wet. It was a bad couple of minutes.

Now I needed to order a couple more Honda decals. This moved the project out about two more weeks...leaving me plenty of time to sand and re-paint the seat/tank unit. I am currently waiting for the delivery of the Honda decals. My last couple of deliveries have been delayed by a hurricane raking the west coast of Baja.

The next disappointment was the TY. I had a nice morning getting the gap on the rings just right, and then I spent a bit more time measuring the re-measuring the piston clearance. I was ready to go. I went to get the base gasket when I realized that I had never seen a base gasket, despite the fact that I had ordered and received two gasket sets from two different sources. I am the idiot for not checking. Nevertheless, it is a little disappointing that these two suppliers would send out two gasket sets without a base gasket. By the way, both of these same suppliers failed to supply a gasket for the clutch side side case cover. Again, my bad for not checking. So, I have had to order some base gaskets from a supplier in the United States. May be I will get them in a couple of weeks.

The TY was also stalled for a week or so while I tried to sort out problems with the kickstart unit. After spending some time on the Trials Central Forum-Yamaha Specific Forum I really did not conclusively solve my problem but I did discover what the problem was and I figured out that by adding a couple of appropriately sized washers to the kickstart shaft between the spacer and the inside face of the clutch side case the problem was solved. My problem was that the stop on the inside end of the kickstarter shaft was riding up and out of the recess provided for it by the right side center case. I have ordered a bunch of new pieces from TY Trials. Mainly the shaft itself and the sliding gear. I really do not know what else to do. No one has explained to me how the shaft can ride up and out of that recess, but I did figure out how to stop it happening. May be that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment