Monday, September 29, 2014

There was this storm.......

Two weeks ago, we were hit by this monster. We only got our internet and electricity back yesterday. Apparently the wind speeds in La Paz (where we live) were 125mph+. Our home has a palapa roof (palms) and there was some damage from the wind and the rain (6") Most of the news coverage in the United States was focused on the resort city of Cabo San Lucas. We live about 100 miles north of Cabo San Lucas and we got the same storm. It went directly north through Baja.

Luckily for me, but not so luckily for him, my son and his girlfriend arrived in La Paz the day before the hurricane arrived. The intention was to spend a week riding dirt bikes and generally catching up on things. It ended up being a week of cleaning up and scrounging around our stricken city for ice and food. Believe me, if you find yourself in a disaster area there is absolutely nothing more useful than a couple of 29 year olds who love to help. They will be back in a couple on months to have that vacation they had in mind.

Prior to the storm, this is as far as I had gotten on the project bikes. The TLR really just needs to be reassembled and the TY just needs the top end stuck on. My plan was to get these last few tasks accomplished with my son during his visit. The Hurricane blew up that plan. Nevertheless progress has been made. As far as I know I have all the parts on hand to finish the bikes and figure out if they will start and run. The seat/tank units on both bikes look good and the alloy fender on the Honda is just what I was hoping for. I finally figured out that I could attach the alloy fender to the tupperware fender which was already in place.

As the followers of this blog might remember, the point of building two bikes simultaneously was so that when my son came down to visit we would have two new bikes to shake down. I had a bit of a deadline, i.e. September 13. The cool thing about a self-imposed deadline is that nothing really happens if you miss it. In my case I just rationalized that it might be more fun to complete the bikes together. That did not work out. We ended up cleaning up after a hurricane....which was, in and of itself a bonding experience. Well, now I've got a new deadline....sometime in December/January or February when he will come back with some friends to go riding. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment