Sunday, January 25, 2015

Anticipation...



Back on November 12, 2014 I bought a 1976 Honda CR 250M. This was the less exotic CR for that year. Points ignition (as opposed to the CDI unit on the CR 250R) and significantly less travel front and rear. It is still sitting in San Diego waiting to come down to me.

Anticipation (see Carly Simon for a musical explanation...) whether sexual or financial or mechanical or some childhood fantasy about Santa Claus can be very exciting....up to a point. I have reached that point with this bike. I am ready to move on.

As you can see above I am as prepared as I can be. A new set of Maxxis tires, a complete gasket set (which I sincerely hope I will not have to use), stainless steel nuts and bolts, a new manual, plugs and points, a set of carburetor gaskets and a couple of sets of head gaskets and base gaskets. I know I will have to take a look at the carburetor and the piston and possibly replace the rings. Sprockets and a chain will have to wait until I see what the gearing should be for my application.

Below is a picture of the bike that I bought...for $1200. The wheels appear to be round. The tank looks to be in very good shape. The expansion chamber looks almost perfect. The muffler is in place. The seat looks good. In short, it is ready for me to put it back on the road. I can't wait to irritate my neighbors.



The problem is that the Mexican agency responsible for import and export matters (Aduana) periodically goes through a convulsion prompted by its especially abusive practices. New agents are brought in from Mexico City...reforms are promised...certain agents are removed or just reprimanded. All of this slows down the practices and procedures at the border. My freight forwarder guys have told me that they need to wait until certain agents are replaced or until certain agents come back on duty before they present this bike for importation. So...here I am waiting and getting ever so slightly irritated and anxious. The workshop is clean...tools and parts are organized...all I need is a new project. I'm hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment